Corporate Social Responsibility
We are committed to our corporate social responsibility and understand the importance of conducting our business in a sustainable, equitable and community-focused way that has social, economic and environmental benefits.
We are concerned about the environment and recognise that good environmental
management must be an integral and fundamental part of our business strategy.
We continue to monitor and improve our environmental performance by:
- Conserving energy, water, wood, paper and other resources
- Reducing waste through re-use and recycling and by using refurbished and
recycled products and materials where possible
- Monitoring relevant discharges and emissions to air, land and water
- Monitoring noise pollution and ensuring that noise from vehicles or any business operations do not impact upon our neighbours or the community
- Phasing out, where practical, ozone depleting substances and minimsing the release of greenhouse gases, vehicle emissions and other substances damaging to health and the environment
As part of our ongoing commitment to assessing the impact of our activities on the environment, we are engaged in a monitoring programme with a research consultancy firm whose areas of expertise are waste management, low carbon energy, resource efficiency and climate change mitigation. We identify any environmental impacts (or potential impacts) in carrying out our activities and set objectives and plans to minimise potential impacts. This process is ongoing and subject to review and revision.
We endeavour to ensure that our business activities do not have any adverse effect on the environment and on the local community. We carry out our business activities during normal working hours to limit the impact of noise pollution, dust pollution and CO2 emissions. Basic principles of no revving up, no leaving vehicles idle with engines running and adherence to speed limits are adopted. We use resources (such as water, lighting) sparingly and ensure that we leave areas clean and clear so there is no possibility of rubbish creating a hazard to the local community.
We are an equal opportunities employer and do not tolerate any form of discrimination on the grounds of sex, race, nationality, ethnic or national origin, religion or belief, marital status, sexual orientation, age or disability. 85% of employees live within a 5-mile radius, all have full employment contracts (no zero hour contracts) and are paid above the living wage.
We have a zero-tolerance approach to slavery and are committed to preventing acts of slavery and human trafficking within the company.
HEALTH & SAFETY
We have a duty to ensure the health, safety and welfare at work of all employees and other persons who are engaged in our business activities and to provide adequate control of those health and safety risks by:
- providing information, instruction and supervision for employees
- ensuring that all employees are competent to do their tasks and to give them adequate ongoing training
- preventing accidents and cases of work-related ill health
- maintaining safe and healthy working conditions
- ensuring safe handling and use of substances
- providing and maintaining safe plant and machinery
- ensuring that employees working at locations under the control of other employers are given relevant health and safety information.
Our health and safety programme is not purely theoretical but is practiced in the workplace at all times. Active participation by management and staff is imperative to the safe running of the workplace.